1960’s House Outdoor Makeover ~ A few weeks back I mentioned to you that my husband and I had started some work around the outside of our home. Today’s the day I show you what we have started to do and what we are planning on doing!
The house was built-in the 1960’s and had two previous owners. The last owner was a widow and spent years not giving any attention to the home. The house was actually unoccupied for a couple of years before we bought it (the owner had been placed in a home).
When we bought it we knew we had a lot of work ahead of us, but we were excited about it. For the last couple of years we’ve been slowly getting around the house, going from here and there fixing this and that… yet it seems like nothing is finished yet. Sébastien and I decided to try and concentrate on one thing and get it done. Once it’s done, we’ll move on to the next thing (we still have our ugly 1960’s kitchen, half demolished bathroom and unfinished basement to work on!).
1960’s House needs an Outdoor Makeover!
As you can see from the above photo of the front of our house, lots of work needs to be done. Let me break it down for you:
Outdoor front of the house:
- We need to scrape and paint the soffit. It hasn’t been touched in sooooo long the paint is just flaking off!
- We need to clean the rain gutter.
- We need to re-attach the downspout. It fell off during strong winds.
- Remove the ugly torn carpet on the front steps. (Not sure why it’s there!)
- Once we remove the carpet, I bet we’ll need to fix the concrete underneath it.
- We are going to paint the concrete using BEHR DeckOver.
- We need to change the windows, they are the original windows (sliding glass on glass) and definitely NOT energy-efficient! Wind and rain go through them. :| However I doubt we’ll get to that this year, we’ll most probably paint the window frames for now.
- We want to build a screen door and add it in front of our current door. I believe it will give a nice look and I’m oh so looking forward to a nice breeze coming through it.
- We also want to clean up the walkway (pine needles have invaded the pebbles between the patio blocks.).
That pretty much covers the front of the house! It needs a lot of attention doesn’t it? I’m quite happy that we have started fixing it. We have cleaned the rain gutter and we have scrapped and painted the soffit! YAY!
We used a magic sponge to clean the gutter! It worked like magic!!!
Next up the side of the house!! Yes, it needs some outdoor love too!
Outdoor side of the house:
- We will be painting the soffit.
- The siding needs to be scraped and re-painted a new color.
- And of course, new windows!
Next up the back porch!
Outdoor back porch:
- The entire porch needs to be painted (siding, steps, flooring, railing and posts!). I can’t wait to show you the colors!
- We want to replace the old storm door with a new door.
- We will be making a screen door too!
- The light fixture needs to be changed. We may even move it next to the big window and perhaps had a second light on the other side of the window.
We’ll be updating the entire porch with new outdoor furniture and probably a new barbecue. Would you believe that we’ve never bought a barbecue before? We’ve been lucky enough to get hand-me-down barbecues for years, but now it’s time to invest!
Now that you see all the work we have to get done, who’s coming over to help out? I’ll supply food, drinks and tons of laughs!
Have a great day!!
P.S. I’ll be linking to these Parties.
Hi there! Are you new to The DIY Dreamer? If so, WELCOME!!
I’m Christine and I’m so very HAPPY you stopped in.