Triplet Tote Tutorial – Sewing for Beginners ~ I’m so excited about today’s post!! My friend Sara from Craft Snob is here to share a beginners sewing tutorial with us!! Yay!! You all know how I’ve been dying to start to sew, I even put together a Sewing 101 post last year. This tutorial is definitely the push I need to start! You’ll find below an AMAZING Triplet Tote Tutorial, which I can’t wait to make myself.
I frequently carry a one pocket tote around with a bunch of things ranging from my laptop, notebooks, pens, thumb drives, etc. Often my pens and other small accessories fall below my notebooks and laptop, making it difficult to find what I am looking for. So I wanted to make a tote with three dividers: one for my laptop, one for my notebooks, and one for smaller miscellaneous items. The result? The Triplet Tote, which has three sections of equal size.
Triplet Tote Tutorial – Sewing for Beginners
- Three coordinating cotton fabrics
- Matching thread
- Basic sewing supplies
- Assume all allowances are 1/4 inch unless stated otherwise.
- Cut two of each: Exterior (28″x12″) – Lining (28″x12″) – Handles (26″x4″)
- Fold handle in half lengthwise and press. (See photo below.)
- Open the handle, fold both edges towards the center, and press.
- Fold along the creased center-line and press again.
- Top-stitch all the way around.
- Repeat for the other handle.
- Lay the lining right side up. Place one handle as shown in the photo below.
- Lay the exterior right side down. Sew along the edges as shown in the photo below. (Leave a few inches open at the bottom.)
- Repeat the above steps with the other lining, exterior and handle.
- Turn right side out and press.
- Sew the bottom opening closed.
- Top-stitch across the top. (See photo below)
- (You should have two identical pieces.)
- Fold each piece in half about the centerline.
- Line the bottom up with the top.
- Lay one on top of the other, making sure the handles are on the exterior.
- Top-stitch along the sides and bottom with 3/4 inch allowance.
Now you’re all done. Pop a few of your favorite items into the tote. I’m so glad I won’t be losing pens and such beneath my notebooks and laptop anymore.
Sara - Craft Snob
P.S. I’ll be linking to these Parties.
P.S. I tried Sara’s tutorial and I made my very own Triplet Tote!! YAY!!
Come on over and check it out:
I’m Sara, creator of WE SEW Crooked, a fun beginner sewing class for new and nervous sewers. Craft Snob is where I host the Bite Sized Sewing Series chalk full of easy sewing projects. My favorite sewing projects are beginner ones because they are fast, easy, and kind of like instant gratification, right?
Hi there! Are you new to The DIY Dreamer? If so, WELCOME!!
I’m Christine and I’m so very HAPPY you stopped in.